It’s that time of year again! Happy new year! We’ve been here nearly ten years, long enough to establish our own traditions, and this post is one of them. It’s a statistical way to reflect on the year’s events, and to thank the amazing community that has grown up about the site, for whom we owe the numbers we report below.
During this past year we had over 12.3 million visits to the site. This was down from last year’s visits, which were fueled by the Israeli atrocity in Gaza, but up 50% from 2013.
In the last year we published 1,800 stories; here are our ten most-viewed posts of the last year:
- Angela Merkel makes a 14-year old Palestinian girl cry by telling her she is not welcome in Germany, by Allison Deger — 322,809 views
- Palestinian Harry Potter fan challenges J. K. Rowling on BDS using lessons from Hogwarts, by Mia Oudeh — 107,767 views
- Israel turns off power to hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in the dead of winter, by Annie Robbins — 97,533 views
- Executed: Dania Ersheid, 17, from Hebron, by Annie Robbins — 82,435 views
- Senator who spearheaded letter to Iran got $1 million from Kristol’s ‘Emergency C’tee for Israel’, by Philip Weiss — 81,432 views
- Night of horror at Ben Gurion airport for two French music students, by Philomene Constant and Bastien Anthoine — 77,137 views
- ‘This is our Israel, this is for the Jews. No Palestinian should come to Israel’: A Palestinian-American’s story of being detained at Ben Gurion airport, by George Khoury — 63,926 views
- Obama tells Americans it is ‘abrogation of my constitutional duty’ to defer to Israel on Iran Deal, by Philip Weiss
- Why I am not Charlie, by Scott Long — 56,619 views
- US only country to oppose UN holding Israel accountable for war crimes, yet again, by Ben Norton — 51,596 views
We also published over 74,000 comments. We are still waiting on the list of prolific commenters; we’ll get to those stats when we have them.
Our readers were around the world, though concentrated in the U.S.