Thousands demonstrate at Gaza border in ‘Burn Israeli Flags’ Friday

For the third consecutive Friday, Deema Abu Sharekh preferred to spend her school weekend participating in the weekly march east of Gaza city instead of entertaining herself with friends and neighbors in the Shejaiya neighborhood, which suffered dozens of deaths and widespread destruction during the 50-day conflict between Israel and Gaza in 2014.

The 7-year-old, blonde and rosy-cheeked due to the sun, arrived at the rally with her dad at noon and went to ‘Malaka’; one of four other protest locations along the Gaza-Israeli border, which is set to end in mid-May on the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakba, in which nearly 700,000 Palestinians were displaced from their original villages by Israeli forces in 1948 war.

“I came today for the third time, to tell the Israeli soldiers that if my grandfather was unable to return to Al-Majdal, [where the Israeli city of Ashkelon now stands] then my father will do it, and if my father fails, I will return one day over there,” Deema told me. “I do not know anything about Al-Majdal, but my grandfather and dad say it is our original town and I am not afraid of these gas bombs or bullets.

“My mother used to tell me every day that she prepares me for the school: ‘Be strong, darling, do not let anyone take your sandwich.’ So today I will not let the Israelis stop me from return,” she said while holding a poster reading: “I am a child of Al-Majdal“.

Gaza protests, 13, 2018.  Photo by Mohamed Asad.

The rallies are protesting against the ongoing siege, but are also asserting what they say is a “right of return” of refugees and their descendants to what is now Israel.

Gaza protests, April 13, 2018.  Photo by Mohamed Asad.

The third of the planned six weeks of marches was scheduled today on the theme of burning the Israeli flag widely and raising the Palestinian flag on the border fence.

Gaza protests, April 13, 2018. Photo by Mohamed Asad.

Gaza’s Health Ministry reported a 28-year-old Palestinian man was killed by Israeli fire and 223 were injured. The death toll rose to 33 among protesters in two weeks, with more than 1,600 wounded by Israeli fire since March 30, according to the Ministry.

Friday morning, angry young men were flocking near the fence, while groups of men succeed in destroying portions of the border fence, pulling it back by long steel cables. Friends near the fence alleged they could sell the material after recycling.

Pieces of the fence. Photo by Mohamed Asad

Meanwhile, youths arrived shouting with anger as they carried on their shoulders a coffin wrapped in an Israeli flag bearing the words: “To the demise of Israel”. The coffin featured photos of two Israeli soldiers whose remains are being held by Hamas– Hadar Goldin and Oron Shaul– and two captured Israeli civilians Hisham al-Sayed and Avera Mengistu.

Coffin wrapped in an Israeli flag bearing the words: “To the demise of Israel.” Photo by Mohamed Asad

Last week Palestinian men collected thousands of old tires in the lead up to burning them last Friday at the peaceful protest along the eastern border of Gaza.

Photo by Mohamed Asad.

The Israeli army has argued that Gaza militant movements seek to turn the border area into a clash zone, and said it has a right to defend its sovereign border.

At today’s rally, protesters created a new way of disturbing the Israeli soldiers perched on the sandy hills beyond the barrier: protesters set kites on fire and released them over the fence into Israeli agricultural fields.

Pprotesters prepare to set kites on fire and released them over the fence into Israeli agricultural fields. April 13, 2018.  Photo by Mohamed Asad.

Moving to the southern city of Rafah, 35 kilometer south of Gaza, some demonstrators set alight posters of US President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who they believe is cooperating with Israel.

The rallies kicked off in March 30 and have created a massive challenge to the Israeli government, which has ignored worldwide criticism of its use of lethal fire against unarmed demonstrators, saying its rules of engagement are necessary and unchangeable.

“No life in Gaza”

A few meters away from the three burned posters, Lubna Abu Jazar, 46, participated in the rally with her 9-year old daughter.

“I am from the village of Al-Sawafir al-Sharqiyya [located 32 km northeast of Gaza on lands now in Israel], and I believe in my heart that returning to that village must be done even after a decade from now,” Lubna, a math school instructor, told Mondoweiss.

“I am personally not feel afraid since I can’t find a life for me or my eight family members in Gaza,” she said.

Palestinians say protesters are being shot while posing no threat to soldiers, and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the EU have called for an independent investigation.

About Ahmad Kabariti

Ahmad Kabariti is a freelance journalist based in Gaza.

1. Kay24
    Kay24
    April 13, 2018, 11:01 pm

In the insane world of zionists, an occupier, fully armed with America’s latest weaponry, who has a brutal military, and who wields the power, has the “right” to defend itself from powerless, unarmed, and occupied people. WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF IT’S VICTIMS? Aren’t they entitled to defend themselves from the brutality of their occupier, the occupation, and the land grabs. This is sheer madness, and the world knows it, but keeps supporting the war criminals, by doing NOTHING about it. So many civilians have been murdered brutally by the zionists, and their Arab brothers do not utter a word of protest.
    It seems the Palestinians are on their own.

pabelmont
      April 14, 2018, 11:54 am

Kay24: They are on their own. But perhap[s the Israeli madness (shooting demonstrators/protesters when they could merely be observing them or even waving to them) will convince EU, USA, others, that it is finally time to add up the columns, to tote up the scores, to take official notice of ALL the Israeli violations of international law and ignorings of UNSC and UNGA pronouncements and say, at long last, “enough is enough, and here is what I am going to do.”

2. DaBakr
    DaBakr
    April 14, 2018, 12:31 am

Incredibly Cloying. And, like any normal child from the immediate region, blonde or brunette, rosy cheeked or otherwise, she is preparing to sacrifice for what she believes or has been taught. The editors here at MW have decided to glorify this trait in pretty young girls.
    Deema is entitled to her dreams but deserves to be prepared for reality as Israel girls are prepared for the the inevitable and harsh reality while only dreaming of the unlucky prospects for a peace treaty.

Emory Riddle
      April 14, 2018, 9:54 am

Whistling past the cemetery. The Jewish state is doomed by its own actions.

catalan
        April 14, 2018, 10:58 am

“Whistling past the cemetery. The Jewish state is doomed by its own actions.” emory riddle
        I totally agree that they are doomed. That’s why I have chosen to live comfortably in the US. I wish that Israelis would understand that too – they keep travelling for fun, enjoying the beaches, attending colleges, and being much higher on the happiness index than the US, UK, France or Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report). Why can’t these Zionists get with the program and become depressed about their impending doom? They are even happier than the Irish; amigo – why so sad?

• April 14, 2018, 11:44 am

Catalunitic – murderous criminal Zionists are happy people – happy to maim and kill innocents as they pray, sing, march and snap pics. How endearing.

Screw what the rest of the world thinks, as long as the Jewish fascists are happy. Need anymore rope?

catalan
        April 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

“Screw what the rest of the world thinks, as long as the Jewish fascists are happy. “
        I never said that. I just noted that for a people whose doom is impending (we all agree that BDS is destroying Zionism), the zionists seem like a happy lot. One wishes they would see what awaits them and – I don’t know – get sad or scared.
        Perhaps they figure that when Zionism falls it will be replaced by a just and prosperous society where everyone is equal before the law. Something like Switzerland perhaps, or Sweden. So that’s not so bad either. It seems like a win – win.

annie
        April 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

I just noted that for a people whose doom is impending (we all agree that BDS is destroying ….

another sarcastic bragging expedition.

i’m thinking about not feeding trolls this morning.

Mooser
        April 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

“I totally agree that they are doomed. That’s why I have chosen to live comfortably in the US” “catalan”

And that’s exactly why Israel is doomed. You have explained it very well. In the end, no matter what the rights and wrongs Israel will fail because there aren’t enough Jews willing to make the effort and sacrifice needed.
        That’s why Israel is failing.

Mooser
        April 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

“i’m thinking about not feeding trolls this morning.”

That’s a good idea. Why bother “catalan” while he’s starving Israel?

catalan
        April 14, 2018, 2:00 pm

“And you still maintain a completely parasitic fantasy that Israel will be there to take you in, at its own expense, when you get in trouble.”
        Mooser,
        It is parasitic but not in the way you figure – I don’t see it a refuge. Rather, I wonder, what will the mondoweiss guys do when Israel is gone? Would they stay unemployed (figuratively speaking) or would they go after people like me (runs the world, killed Jesus, etc). I like you Mooser but not enough to share a tight compartment during a one way trip. After Israel, you and I are next (and I know you don’t comprehend that). You are the Fritz Habers of the world.

Mooser
        April 14, 2018, 8:00 pm

“It is parasitic but not in the way you figure – I don’t see it a refuge.”

Exactly! You suck off Zionism, like a parasite, without contributing a thing to it, only when it gives you an excuse for reveling in Israel’s sadism.
        Other than a host for your sadistic fantasied, you have no use for Zionism. Other than the fantasy of a place to abscond to.

Emory Riddle
        April 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

The fake braggadocio of the Zionist supporter designed to hide deep insecurity. Like something right out of junior high school.

amigo
        April 15, 2018, 4:48 pm

“Why can’t these Zionists get with the program and become depressed about their impending doom? They are even happier than the Irish; amigo – why so sad?”catalan

Not sure why you think I am sad.

1, Ireland usually is placed in the top three of the most liked nations on the planet.Israel on the the other hand is placed at the botom three along with Pakistan / Iran and NK.

2 Ireland is placed 8th on the Global Gender Gap report.(144 countries ).Israel is placed 44th.Zionists should learn how to treat their Mothers,Sisters/Daughters,Grannies ,Aunts,Nieces ,Girlfriends and Wives with equality and dignity.

That Israelis are 11th on the hapiness report says much more about them than it does about the Irish.

BTW , were the non Jewish Isrelis included in that report.The result would suggest not.

catalan
        April 15, 2018, 5:59 pm

“Israel on the the other hand is placed at the botom three along with Pakistan / Iran and NK.”
        Why would that bother me – I am an American Bulgarian with most of my friends Hispanic and Native American. A man of means by no means and I even know integrals.

Mooser
        April 15, 2018, 6:48 pm

“Why would that bother me – I am an American Bulgarian with most of my friends Hispanic and Native American.” “catalan”

Jeez, “catalan” why didn’t you say that before? Now I understand; Mondo is the only place you can air your sadistic fantasies about Palestinians, safely.

jon s
        April 16, 2018, 2:55 pm

amigo,
        Non Jews were included proportionately in the Happiness Report.

Misterioso
      April 14, 2018, 10:37 am

DaBakr

“Incredibly cloying.”
      “The editors here at MW have decided to glorify this trait in pretty YOUNG [my emphasis] girls.

Very revealing DaBakr. Your comments bring to mind the perverts who interrogated Ahed Tamimi.

As for those “Israel girls” who dream “of the unlucky prospects for a peace treaty,” I do hope they are finally comprehending the screaming obvious, i.e., it is their fascistic, racist, expansionist leaders who are responsible for the lack of peace.

Mooser
      April 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

“as Israel girls are prepared for the the inevitable and harsh reality”

Oh, I bet they are. They just don’t have the same options as Jewish girls in other places do.

Mooser
      April 14, 2018, 1:28 pm

“Incredibly Cloying.”

Like some of the Vishniac photos?

amigo
        April 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

“Non Jews were included proportionately in the Happiness Report.” Jon S

Perhaps but given the Illegal squatters in Occupied Palestine were also included , that would serve to skew the results.Imagine how happy they are.

Free land –much of which is stolen .Interest free loans from the occupying gov.Freedom to shoot, harass , assault and generally oppress the legal inhabitants .Arab frei roads.They live under Israeli civil law while the Palestinians live under military law.

Yeah , they are doubled up with happiness .

Btw , I do not believe the non Jews were included , please provide evidence.

“I wouldn’t be too surprised if it turns out that they’re even happier than the Jewish population.”Jon S.

Well , why not.Non Jews get to live with peaceful , kind and generous Jews .

OTOH , Jews have to live with dirty Arabs who spend all their time trying to push the poor Jews into the sea.

annie
      April 14, 2018, 2:02 pm

she is preparing to sacrifice

deema’s sign says “I am a child of Al-Majdal” and nothing in the text reminded me of a preparation for sacrifice.

“…I will return one day over there,”
      “…I am not afraid of these gas bombs or bullets.”

“My mother used to tell me every day that she prepares me for the school: ‘Be strong, darling, do not let anyone take your sandwich.’ So today I will not let the Israelis stop me from return..”

how does this represent preparation for sacrifice? maybe you know something deema doesn’t. this just sounds to me like she’s been taught she will return someday, which she probably will, or else her children will. plus, she has a legal right to.

i’ve been to gaza and i’ve been inside UN run elementary school classrooms there. at a very early age they start learning about their rights, international rights.

annie
        April 14, 2018, 2:17 pm

dabakr, aside from implying she’s in preparation for her own death, you call this a “trait”, one we are “glorifying”. what planet are you on? a ten year old child in gaza has been through 3 wars. what kind of dream and hope does a parent try to instill in their child at a young age in that environment to offer them the best opportunity in life? exactly what she communicates of course.

whereas in the colonialist mindset i’m sure one might hope the child would be raised to succumb, to be subservient, to embrace their submission, to bow down to the master. but not raising one’s child to accept defeat is not preparation to sacrifice — it’s the opposite.

Mayhem
      April 14, 2018, 6:39 pm

The next Ahed Tamimi, born of a system that addles the minds of its youth.

eljay
        April 14, 2018, 8:32 pm

|| Mayhem: The next Ahed Tamimi, born of a system that addles the minds of its youth. ||

Zionism? No, she’s not a Zionist.

annie
        April 14, 2018, 9:14 pm

drop the drugs from “drug addled youth” and what have you got? system addled youth! what kind of system? that system where those other people shoot them and imprison them. what other people? the ones accusing them of being addled by the system. omg, the logic is addling my mind. i need some drugs to comprehend it’s all so very complicated. or did i mean complex?

3. Maghlawatan
    Maghlawatan
    April 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Zochrot went to al Majdal a few years ago. They are an NGO who aim to educate Yossi israeli about the Nakba. Unfortunately the video is not in English

4. Maghlawatan
    Maghlawatan
    April 14, 2018, 9:27 am

From the point of view of Gaza the Israeli flag is fascist. This means the Star of David to Gaza is also fascist. Who allowed the thugs to appropriate the Star of David?

pabelmont
      April 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Is a star of David with two blue lines still (merely) a star of David? Or has it become something else, a flag of the (oppressive) State of Israel?

Israel did appropriate the star but made it part of a somewhat larger symbol for its flag.

5. CigarGod
    CigarGod
    April 14, 2018, 1:03 pm

It certainly is a good idea to present Palestinians in as close a way to the west as possible.
    Western leaders/media use brown faces and broken english to sell the message that Palestinians are not like us.

John O
      April 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

It worked 50 years ago – Golda Meir’s American accent; Abba Eban sounding every inch the English public schoolboy he was. No one asking what the hell were these people doing living in the Middle east.

CigarGod
        April 15, 2018, 2:37 am

Yep.
        My whole life I’ve seen BBC, NPR and all western tv seek out wild-eyed, disheveled, non or very poor English-speaking brown people, fresh from the funerals of their bombed, ill and starving friends, families, communities and place them before a camera and challenge them to explain themselves for letting it all happen.

edwardm
        April 15, 2018, 6:08 pm

“t worked 50 years ago” – today as well. Look at Michael Oren. So WHITE, so American. Except he renounced his American citizenship…..

6. genesto
    genesto
    April 14, 2018, 1:41 pm

I find it quite interesting that the Great March leadership is, I believe, putting forward light-skinned, blond-haired Palestinian children to help garner international sympathy and support. This is completely opposite to the dark-skinned, dark-haired keffiyeh-wearing, slingshot toting, angry youth the Israelis love to display as typical of the young Palestinian terrorist generation that poor Israel must oppose with brutal military force or face extinction.

The Zionists, ironically, will label this as manipulative – or, as the idiot Michael Oren has ignorantly claimed, part of the absolutely phony ‘Pallywood’ project played out by professional actors that aren’t even Palestinian. However, unfortunately, it takes this type of effort on the part of the Palestinians to begin to project Palestinians as human beings simply striving for basic freedoms, like you and I. When this breakthrough finally takes place, i.e. the West sees the humanity in the Palestinian people and rejects the terrorist image Israel keeps trying to sell, the end of Zionism will be within sight.

7. Kathleen
    Kathleen
    April 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

Hope folks are sharing, linking this post everywhere they go. So important since the MSM either distorts or stays silent on this critical issue.

Please share on your fb page, websites you to to etc

Citizen
      April 16, 2018, 8:01 am

Share on Twitter too, with appropriate hashtags–some of us don’t like FB much due to its privacy leakage.

Kathleen
        April 16, 2018, 10:48 am

I have yet to get on Twitter. FB, Email, phone calls, Enough communication avenues for me. All of the choices to communicate …I feel to overwhelmed. Shut all of it down quite often

8. Boris
    Boris
    April 15, 2018, 1:22 pm

You have to get another sandwich…

Mooser
      April 15, 2018, 6:36 pm

Reveling in the ability to take a sandwich from a child. Is “Boris” bad enough, or what?

James North
        April 15, 2018, 6:59 pm

Moose: Are you sure you diabolically didn’t create “Boris,” alongside “Grover” — another sock puppet to discredit Israel?

Mooser
        April 16, 2018, 11:53 am

“Are you sure…”

Absolutely sure. Check the Comment Policy. One parody-Zionist sock-puppet per customer, no exceptions.

eljay
      April 16, 2018, 7:55 am

|| Boris: … Well, Deema, if someone took your sandwich yesterday, today it is no longer a sandwich.

You have to get another sandwich… ||

Makes sense:
      – Zionists took Palestine (sandwich) from Palestinians and transformed it (no longer a sandwich) into the religion-supremacist “Jewish State” of Israel.
      – With Palestine (their sandwich) gone, Palestinians must now take (get) the “Jewish State” of Israel (another sandwich).

Hamas thanks you for your support and inspiration.

9. JLewisDickerson
    JLewisDickerson
    April 15, 2018, 3:44 pm

RE: “Moving to the southern city of Rafah, 35 kilometer south of Gaza, some demonstrators set alight posters of US President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who they believe is cooperating with Israel”. ~ Ahmad Kabariti

MY COMMENT: MbS (“Defender of the Faith”) cooperating with Israel?!?!
    Those Palestinians and their “conspiracy theories”!
    Their “conspiracy theories”!
    Their “conspiracy theories”!
    Their “conspiracy theories”!
    Shame on them!

P.S. MBS’s cooperation with Israel is pretty much established fact!